Dr. Matt Van Auken is a multi-board certified integrative family doc hailing from New York City. He felt called to the field of medicine and healing after the sudden passing of his father during his teens. He believes, as his meditation teacher says, that being a healer is about “riding shotgun with others through life’s most interesting and challenging moments,” and strives to align his practice this way.
With skillsets in conventional western primary care, lifestyle medicine, integrative and herbal medicine, Ayurveda, counterstrain manual therapy, clinical hypnosis, and yoga, he loves to mix and match an individualized care approach to each patient he sees.
Off duty, Matt enjoys spending time with his wife and two (loud, yet charming) kids, gardening and developing permaculture (skills in this area are very much a work in progress), and practicing aikido. He has a passion for learning ancient and/or diasporic languages, including Sanskrit, Yiddish, and Ladino. You can also catch him fiddling with a ukulele or banjo from time to time, and finding ways to make baked goods plant-based and white sugar-free.
- Doctor of Medicine, Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
- Masters in Public Health, Rutgers School of Public Health
- Residency, PeaceHealth Family Medicine of Southwest Washington, Vancouver, WA
- Fellowship, Andrew Weil Center for Integrative Medicine, University of Arizona
- American Board of Family Medicine
- American Board of Integrative Medicine
- American Board of Lifestyle Medicine
- American Academy of HIV Medicine