Sydney Rea is a pediatric nurse practitioner who specializes in eating disorder care. She is passionate about her work. She sees the intense, physical and emotional challenges her patients experience and knows that she could make a difference in their lives.
“We currently live in a culture obsessed with diet and exercise,” asserts Sydney.
Delivering compassionate, informed care, Sydney works to dispel common myths and assumptions surrounding her specialty. She uses sensitive language that help patients understand their diagnosis and treatment. She develops close, trusting relationships that provide a safe environment for patients to feel comfortable disclosing their behaviors. She also pays close attention to subtlety to help conscientious patients discuss their challenges and improvements.
In November 2018, Sydney began working with Dr. Paula Koehler and will be transitioning care of Paula’s eating disorder patients to her panel in June.
Sydney received her nursing degree from the University of Portland in 2008 and her Pediatric Nurse Practitioner-Primary Care in 2018 from Oregon Health & Science University where she will also be completing her Pediatric Nurse Practitioner for Acute Care in June. Her extensive clinical experience includes Doernbecher Children’s hospitals’ Pediatric Endocrinology Specialty Clinic, Child Development and Rehabilitation Center, and the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.
- School Based Health, Cesar Chavez School, K - 8 grade, 2019
- Pediatric SSU/PACU/Anesthesia Support Nurse, Providence St. Vincent Pediatric Surgery, 2018 - 2019
- Relief Charge Nurse, Pediatric ICU Providence St. Vincent Medical Center, 2017-2018
- Core Charge Nurse, Pediatric ICU, Providence St. Vincent Medical Center, 2015-2017
- Staff Nurse, Pediatric ICU Providence St. Vincent Medical Center, 2013-2015
- Staff Nurse, Inpatient Pediatrics, St. Vincent Medical Center, 2008-2012
- Oregon Health and Science University, Doctor of Nursing Practice & Pediatric Nurse Practitioner 2018-2019
- Oregon Health and Science University, Master of Science, Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, 2016-2018
- University of Portland, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, 2004-2008
Licensure and Certification
- Licensed Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, 2018 - Present
- Registered Nurse, 2008 - Present
- Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (Primary and Acute care), 2018 - Present
- Certified Pediatric Nurse, 2010 - Present