My name is José Guillen, and I’m a Family Medicine PA/MPH recently transplanted from California. My philosophy of care focuses on the collaboration between patients and providers, as I firmly believe in taking a team approach to resolve issues. I’m also keen on patient education, so if you have a burning medical question, don’t be shy. In terms of specialties, I’m an experienced provider for LGTBQ population, and have a dedicated interest in Travel Medicine.
I’ve previously worked in a variety of settings, from rural family practices in California to tiny clinics in South Africa and Nicaragua. I’ve helped out patients of all ages, from toddlers to elders.
In the beforetimes, I taught and created curriculum for Trackers, here in Portland, taught English and hip hop dance in Japan, and sold vacuum cleaners door to door on the streets of Texas.
In my free time, I cycle, play boardgames, and eat possibly unhealthy amounts of burritos in search of the Best Burrito Joint in Portland.
GreenField Health, 2018-present
- Scott Valley Rural Health Clinic, Etna, CA Physician Assistant, 2017
- California Forensic Medical Group, Santa Cruz, CA; Salinas, CA Physician Assistant, 2017
- Tehama County Health Clinic, Red Bluff, CA Physician Assistant, 2016
- Villa Guadalupe – Global Health Institute Research, Nicaragua Lead Research Coordinator, 2015
- Low Resource Medicine Cape Town – Global Health Institute Research, Cape Town, South Africa, 2013
- Master of Public Health, 2015, Emory University, Atlanta, GA
- Physician Assistant, 2015, Emory University, Atlanta, GA
- Bachelor of Arts, 2003, Reed College, Portland, OR
- Fluent in Spanish
- Functional in French
Galloway GP, Coyle JR, Guillén JE, Flower K, Mendelson JE. A simple, novel method for assessing medication adherence: capsule photographs taken with cellular telephones. Journal of Addiction Medicine 5(3):170-4.
Guillen JE, Baker H, Miranda D, Sigel C. One Choice of Condom is no Choice at all: Exploring Custom-Fitted Condoms as a Sexual Health Intervention in Cape Town, South Africa. Emory Global Health Initiative Scholar Symposium; Nov. 14, 2013; Atlanta, GA.