José Guillen joined GreenField Health in 2018 as a family medicine physician assistant and master of public health. His philosophy of care focuses on collaboration between patients and providers because José firmly believes in taking a team approach to resolve issues. He is also keen on informed decisions and patient education, so patients with questions should not hesitate to ask.
From toddlers to elders, José cares for all ages. He is also an experienced provider for LGTBQA populations and has a dedicated interest in travel medicine. Previously, José worked in a variety of settings, from rural family practices in California to community health clinics in South Africa and Nicaragua.
Before entering a career in medicine, our worldly physician assistant taught and created curricula for Trackers Earth in Portland, taught English and hip hop dance in Japan, and even sold vacuum cleaners door to door on the streets of Fort Worth, Texas.
In his free time, José cycles, plays board games, and continues his search for the best burrito joint in Portland. José and his partner also recently welcomed their beautiful new daughter to their family.
- Physician Assistant, Scott Valley Rural Health Clinic, Etna, Calif., 2017
- Physician Assistant, California Forensic Medical Group, Santa Cruz; Salinas, 2017
- Physician Assistant, Tehama County Health Clinic, Red Bluff, Calif., 2016
- Lead Research Coordinator, Villa Guadalupe – Global Health Institute Research, Nicaragua, 2015
- Low Resource Medicine Cape Town – Global Health Institute Research, Cape Town, South Africa, 2013
- Master of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, 2015
- Physician Assistant, Emory University, Atlanta, 2015
- Bachelor of Arts, Reed College, Portland, 2003
- Fluent in Spanish
- Functional in French
- Galloway GP, Coyle JR, Guillén JE, Flower K, Mendelson JE. A simple, novel method for assessing medication adherence: capsule photographs taken with cellular telephones. Journal of Addiction Medicine 5(3):170-4.
- Guillen JE, Baker H, Miranda D, Sigel C. One Choice of Condom is no Choice at all: Exploring Custom-Fitted Condoms as a Sexual Health Intervention in Cape Town, South Africa. Emory Global Health Initiative Scholar Symposium; Nov. 14, 2013; Atlanta, GA.