José Guillen joined GreenField Health in 2018 as a family medicine physician assistant/master of public health. His philosophy of care focuses on the collaboration between patients and providers because he firmly believes in taking a team approach to resolve issues. He also is keen on patient education, so patients with questions should not be shy about asking him. He is an experienced provider for LGTBQ populations and has a dedicated interest in travel medicine.
José previously worked in a variety of settings, from rural family practices in California to tiny clinics in South Africa and Nicaragua. He has helped patients of all ages, from toddlers to elders.
Before working in medicine, he taught and created curricula for Trackers Earth in Portland, taught English and hip hop dance in Japan, and sold vacuum cleaners door to door on the streets of Texas.
In his free time, José cycles, plays board games and eats possibly unhealthy amounts of burritos in search of the Best Burrito Joint in Portland.
- Physician Assistant, Scott Valley Rural Health Clinic, Etna, Calif., 2017
- Physician Assistant, California Forensic Medical Group, Santa Cruz; Salinas, 2017
- Physician Assistant, Tehama County Health Clinic, Red Bluff, Calif., 2016
- Lead Research Coordinator, Villa Guadalupe – Global Health Institute Research, Nicaragua, 2015
- Low Resource Medicine Cape Town – Global Health Institute Research, Cape Town, South Africa, 2013
- Master of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, 2015
- Physician Assistant, Emory University, Atlanta, 2015
- Bachelor of Arts, Reed College, Portland, 2003
- Fluent in Spanish
- Functional in French
- Galloway GP, Coyle JR, Guillén JE, Flower K, Mendelson JE. A simple, novel method for assessing medication adherence: capsule photographs taken with cellular telephones. Journal of Addiction Medicine 5(3):170-4.
- Guillen JE, Baker H, Miranda D, Sigel C. One Choice of Condom is no Choice at all: Exploring Custom-Fitted Condoms as a Sexual Health Intervention in Cape Town, South Africa. Emory Global Health Initiative Scholar Symposium; Nov. 14, 2013; Atlanta, GA.