Leesa Azar is a Portland native who has practiced medicine in the Pacific Northwest for most of the past 25 years. Knowing that she has saved a life, improved someone’s life or just made them feel better is her greatest reward in doing the hard work of medicine.
“My long term patients are like friends and family members. I’m always happy to see them, and these relationships are an important part of my life,” she says.
The bedrock of Leesa’s care philosophy is to live up to the trust patients place in her by keeping them healthy, well and as happy as possible. She strives to practice up-to-date, evidence-based medicine. She enjoys engaging in continuous education and keeping up with the most important medical developments.
Her passion for learning stems from attending Portland State University, where she graduated with high honors and as the outstanding senior in chemistry. She majored in chemistry because she wanted to do research on the link between nutrition and disease.
She then attended Cornell University where her research while earning her master’s degree in biochemistry focused on nutrition and cancer. While there, Leesa volunteered for a domestic violence shelter for two years. She found that experience so rewarding that she decided she wanted to be directly involved with helping people, rather than working in a lab.
To that end, she enrolled at Oregon Health & Science University because ranks high in primary care training and because it allowed her to stay close to family and friends in Oregon.
- Providence Medical Group-Mercantile, Lake Oswego, 1996-2018
- Providence Internal Medicine, Newberg, 1997-2003
- Good Samaritan Hospital, Travel Clinic Physician, Portland, 1995-96
- Legacy Emanuel Hospital, Urgent Care, Portland, 1994-95
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Legacy Portland System, 1993-96
- Doctor of Medicine, Oregon Health Sciences University, 1993
- Master of Science, Biochemistry, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y., 1989
- Bachelors of Arts (High Honors), Portland State University, 1982
- Internal Medicine, 1996, 2007, 2018 (Board Certified)