Dr. Melanie Doak joins GreenField Health's Westside office after 16 years as a primary care doctor with the Portland VA Heath Care System. She chose internal medicine as her career focus because of the opportunity to manage a wide variety of medical conditions. "I have a special interest in diabetes and heart disease," she says. "I love being a primary care doctor because I can develop long-lasting relationships with my patients, which is immensely rewarding."
Melanie attended UC Davis Medical School and completed her Internal Medicine residency at OHSU in 1999. Science and biology attracted her to a career in medicine, despite dreams of being studying Marine Biology and earning a bachelor’s in Biological Sciences at Cal Poly State University. "I don't know if it was the fact that most of my peers were pre-med, or that I gradually felt a strong desire to work with people in a career where I could have an impact, but pursuing medicine soon became my focus and ultimate goal," she says.
When Melanie isn't in clinic, she spends her time with her young son, Joshua, "the most important person in my life." She and Joshua love Oregon with its breadth of outdoor activities and wealth of food and wine. "I also love being creative, whether it is crafts, home improvement and decoration, landscape design (I've embarked on a project creating an oasis in my backyard!), or playing music."
- Clinical Practice Manager, Hillsboro and North Coast CBOCs, Primary Care, VA Portland Health Care System
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, OHSU
- Bachelor of Science, Biological Sciences, 1992, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA
- Doctor of Medicine, 1996, University of California, Davis School of Medicine, Davis, CA
- Intern and Resident, 1996-99, Internal Medicine, Oregon Health Sciences University Portland, OR
- Fellow, 1999-2001, General Internal Medicine, VA Portland Health Care System, Portland, OR
- M.P.H. Candidate, 1999-2001, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR
Honors and Awards
- Graduated summa cum laude from California Polytechnic State University, 1992.
- Outstanding Biological Sciences Major award, California Polytechnic State University, 1992
- Recognition of Exceptional Academic Achievement Award, School of Science and Mathematics, California Polytechnic State University, 1991-1992
- Golden Key Honor Society and Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society, 1990-1992
- American Board of Internal Medicine, 1999-current (recertification 2019)