Melanie Doak joined GreenField Health's westside office after 16 years as a primary care doctor with the Portland Veterans Administration Heath Care System. She chose internal medicine as her career focus for the opportunity to manage a wide variety of medical conditions. "I have a special interest in diabetes and heart disease," she says. "I love being a primary care doctor because I can develop long-lasting relationships with my patients, which is immensely rewarding."
Melanie attended the University of California Davis Medical School and completed her internal medicine residency at Oregon Health & Science University in 1999. Science and biology attracted her to a career in medicine, despite dreams of studying marine biology and earning a bachelor’s in biological sciences at California Polytechnic State University.
When Melanie isn't in clinic, she spends her time with her young son, Joshua, "the most important person in my life." She and Joshua love Oregon with its breadth of outdoor activities and wealth of food. "I also love being creative, whether it is crafts, home improvement and decoration, landscape design (I've embarked on a project creating an oasis in my backyard!), or playing music."
- Clinical Practice Manager, Hillsboro and North Coast CBOCs, Primary Care, VA Portland Health Care System
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, OHSU
- M.P.H. Candidate, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, 1999-2001
- Fellow, General Internal Medicine, VA Portland Health Care System, Portland, 1999-2001
- Intern and Resident, Internal Medicine, Oregon Health Sciences University Portland, 1996-99
- Doctor of Medicine, University of California, Davis School of Medicine, Davis, 1996
- Bachelor of Science, Biological Sciences, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, 1992
Honors and Awards
- Graduated summa cum laude from California Polytechnic State University, 1992
- Outstanding Biological Sciences Major award, California Polytechnic State University, 1992
- Recognition of Exceptional Academic Achievement Award, School of Science and Mathematics, California Polytechnic State University, 1991-92
- Golden Key Honor Society and Beta Beta Beta Biology Honor Society, 1990-92
- American Board of Internal Medicine, 1999-current (recertification 2019)