After 16 years as a primary care physician with the Portland Veterans Administration Heath Care System, Melanie Doak has joined GreenField Health's team!
"I love being a primary care doctor because I can develop long-lasting relationships with my patients, which is immensely rewarding."
A Californian native, Melanie attended the University of California, Davis Medical School and completed her internal medicine residency at Oregon Health & Science University. She chose internal medicine as her career focus for the opportunity to manage a wide variety of conditions.
"I have a special interest in diabetes and heart disease," says Melanie.
Originally, Melanie set her career sights on sea life. She studied biology at California Polytechnic. Despite her dreams of becoming a marine biologist, biology and the influence of her pre-med classmates drew her towards a career in medicine.
“When I started college at Loyola Marymount, most of my peers in my major were pre-med. I also had a friend who was pre-med. During my Freshman, year I just started thinking more about whether or not that would be a field I would enjoy more.”
Melanie also realized she wanted that human interaction absent in marine biology. “I eventually decided that pre-med was the right path for me and that I could have a larger impact in that field.”
Melanie works Monday through Friday at our Westside office but when she isn't in clinic, she spends time with her son, Joshua, "the most important person in my life" she says with a radiant smile.
Both mother and son love Oregon’s breadth of outdoor activities and embark on adventures most every weekend. Melanie also enjoys being creative in her spare time: playing music, working on crafts, home improvement, decorating, and landscape design.
- Clinical Practice Manager, Hillsboro and North Coast CBOCs, Primary Care, VA Portland Health Care System
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, OHSU
- M.P.H. Candidate, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, 1999-2001
- Fellow, General Internal Medicine, VA Portland Health Care System, Portland, 1999-2001
- Intern and Resident, Internal Medicine, Oregon Health Sciences University Portland, 1996-99
- Doctor of Medicine, University of California, Davis School of Medicine, Davis, 1996
- Bachelor of Science, Biological Sciences, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, 1992
Honors and Awards
- Graduated summa cum laude from California Polytechnic State University, 1992
- Outstanding Biological Sciences Major award, California Polytechnic State University, 1992
- Recognition of Exceptional Academic Achievement Award, School of Science and Mathematics, California Polytechnic State University, 1991-92
- Golden Key Honor Society and Beta Beta Beta Biology Honor Society, 1990-92
- American Board of Internal Medicine, 1999-current (recertification 2019)