Sagar Shah is originally from Chicago. He pursued an unconventional path towards medicine after first studying the effect of conflict and trauma on immigrants and refugees. After deciding that medicine was the best way to reach distressed communities, he graduated from medical school in Philadelphia and then completed his residency in family medicine at the University of Wisconsin. After residency, he pursued a fellowship in integrative medicine with a focus on nutrition and a Master of Public Health degree at Emory University.
Sagar believes that technology can improve medical care if used properly. He is producing a medical podcast and developing an app to improve the exchange of educational and medical supplies. He also feels that the foundation of healing is focusing on a healthy and balanced lifestyle. For this reason, he hopes to continue learning about ways to improve the foundational elements of health. To that end, he is pursuing a personal trainer certification.
Ultimately, Sagar believes that a strong partnership with his patients is vital to making healthful decisions. He first seeks to understand what matters most to each of his patients and then forms a joint health plan with them at each visit.
In his spare time, Sagar is an avid billiards player, biker, hiker, and kayaker. When he’s not chatting with patients and colleagues, he’ll often have an earphone in with a podcast on.
- Kaiser Hawaii Permanente Medical Group, Honolulu, 2017-18
- Ekahi Ornish Multidisciplinary Heart Disease Reduction Clinic, Honolulu, 2018
- Veterans Affairs, nationwide, 2017-18
- UW and Dean Clinics Urgent Care, Madison, Wisc., 2015-17
- Master of Public Health, Emory: Rollins School of Public Health, Atlanta, Ga., 2015-18
- Integrative Medicine Fellowship, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 2015-17
- Resident in Family and Community Medicine, University of Wisconsin, 2012-15
- Doctor of Medicine, Thomas Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, 2008-12
- Post-baccalaureate, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, 2006-07
- Bachelor of Arts, Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill. 2002-06
Licensure and Certification
- American Board of Family Medicine Certification
- DEA Certificate
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support provider
- Advanced Trauma Life Support provider