Greenfield Health welcomes newest addition Sagar Shah to the team!
Originally from Chicago, Sagar graduated medical school in Philadelphia. He completed his residency in family medicine followed by a fellowship in integrative medicine at the University of Wisconsin and received his Master of Public Health at Emory University.
Sagar didn’t start out pre-med. He spent his undergrad studying world history, religion, the effects of conflict and trauma on immigrants and refugees. Sagar even suffered from the millennial aversion to science until he (along with Northwestern’s college basketball team, the Wildcats) took a class on dinosaurs that changed his mind.
“The class was called Diversity of life,” reflects Sagar. “It was like a “dinosaur for dummies class.”
It was in 2005, aiding populations affected by the tsunami in India that he decided medicine was the most direct way he could assist distressed communities.
Today, Sagar practices integrative medicine, a method that focuses on promoting healing. He believes in preventive care through long-term maintenance of responsible lifestyle choices (like diet and exercise). Working with Sagar makes these goals achievable because he develops a realistic, personalized plan for his patient’s goals.
Here’s how it works: Sagar determines what matters most to you. Then he forms a joint plan with you at every visit.
Sagar also believes education is key for both himself and his patients. For this reason, he stays up to date on ways to improve the foundational elements of health. Sagar even produces a medical podcast you can tune into and he is currently in the process of developing an app to improve the exchange of educational and medical supplies.
In his spare time, Sagar is an avid billiards player, biker, hiker, and kayaker. He and his wife also love exploring Portland’s eclectic food scene.
- Kaiser Hawaii Permanente Medical Group, Honolulu, 2017-18
- Ekahi Ornish Multidisciplinary Heart Disease Reduction Clinic, Honolulu, 2018
- Veterans Affairs, nationwide, 2017-18
- UW and Dean Clinics Urgent Care, Madison, Wisc., 2015-17
- Master of Public Health, Emory: Rollins School of Public Health, Atlanta, Ga., 2015-18
- Integrative Medicine Fellowship, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 2015-17
- Resident in Family and Community Medicine, University of Wisconsin, 2012-15
- Doctor of Medicine, Thomas Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, 2008-12
- Post-baccalaureate, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, 2006-07
- Bachelor of Arts, Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill. 2002-06
Licensure and Certification
- American Board of Family Medicine Certification
- DEA Certificate
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support provider
- Advanced Trauma Life Support provider